4 September 2016

Smoky pulled jackfruit wraps


I've been admiring jackfruit recipes on the internet for quite a while now. Especially the recipes by my blogging colleague Shaheen have inspired me to cook with the curious fruit. Recently I made an online order for four jackfruit cans and can hopefully cook a variation of dishes with them. My first attempt were these spicy and smoky pulled jackfruit wraps, which are vegan. I didn't follow any recipes for this, I just wanted to cook jackfruit in a Mexican style dish. So I invented as I went along. It took quite a while to get the jackfruit into the correct chewy texture, and I'm sure I could've cooked it even longer. Then the sun went down on me and the photos are a bit dark. Sadly I had to realise that we had entered the season of the darker food photos.

Here is my first ever jackfruit recipe anyway, for many more to come!

Ingredients

280 g / 1 can jackfruit
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
1 chilli
Vegetable oil
Splashes of liquid aminos
Splashes of liquid smoke
1 tsp vegetable stock extract
140 g / 1 small can sweetcorn
1 tsp smoked chilli paste
1 red bell pepper
Few leaves of gem lettuce
Wholemeal tortilla wraps
Chilli ketchup or mayo


Method

Drain and rinse the jackfruit.

Chop the onion, garlic and chilli finely.

Heat oil in a pan and start cooking the onions there.

Soon add the jackfruit pieces and splashes of liquid aminos and liquid smoke. Also keep adding a little bit extra water with the vegetable stock extract and let simmer until the jackfruit starts darkening and pulling itself apart while the harder bits soften.

Once the jackfruit is nearly done, add the garlic and chilli to the pan and cook some more.

Add the sweetcorn and the smoked chilli paste and let simmer for a while until the flavours have blended and when you think that the texture is right.

Add more seasoning to taste, if needed.

Assemble the wraps by adding the lettuce and bell pepper as the fresh ingredients and combining them with the jackfruit and corn mix.

Season with a chilli ketchup or mayo and enjoy.



Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. Ah thanks for the kind mention and wow, so pleased you got hold of some Jackfruit to experiment with and also to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I was very pleased to cook with jackfruit and it was so tasty! I have a couple of cans more, so need to keep thinking where I want to use them.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.