24 January 2016

Vegan haggis and Burns Night


As Robert Burns Day is tomorrow, I thought that I would try to make somewhat of a Burns Supper. I have never before made vegetarian or vegan haggis, nor have I ever eaten one, but I thought that it might be a nice thing to try. It turned out to be quite nice and full of good proteins and fiber. I served my vegan haggis with neeps and tatties, brussels sprouts and onion gravy, not to forget the whisky and the poetry.


Here is my recipe, which makes 6 small haggis ramekins.

Ingredients

½ cup puy lentils
½ cup green lentils
½ cup pearled barley
Vegetable stock
4-6 dried porcini mushrooms
1 onion
3 garlic cloves
2 carrots
Olive oil
Ground black pepper to taste
Ground nutmeg to taste
Allspice to taste
Liquid aminos to taste
Handful of fresh sage leaves
½ cup ground oat flakes

Sides:
Neeps and tatties, roasted and mashed
Onion gravy (similar recipe here
Steamed brussels sprouts
Whisky
Poetry



Method

I'll only describe the making of the vegan haggis here. You may prepare the sides as you prefer.

Cook the lentils in water and the pearled barley in vegetable stock with the crumbled dried porcini mushrooms.

Chop the onion, garlic and carrot finely and start cooking them in olive oil.

Add the lentils and barley to the mix and season.

Lastly mix in the ground oat flakes.

Put the mix into small greased ramekins and bake in the oven at 180C for about 40 minutes.

Serve with the sides and recite some poetry. 



Happy Burns Night tomorrow!

Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. I love homemade vegan haggis often made with pinhead oatmeal. Yours is so beautifully presented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shaheen! The presentation is a bit in the darkness, but haggis was very nice!

      Delete
  2. your haggis looks so beauitful - love the garnish - is it fried sage leaf?

    I love making it and had some in the freezer for burns night but then we were just back from holiday and too tired so there is haggis in our near future which I am looking forward to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice that you can also enjoy some veggie haggis soon!

      The garnish is indeed a sage leaf. I fried the sage leaves in butter until crispy, they get so good this way!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.