23 January 2016

Cheese strings


Happy Saturday everyone! I'm just going to post this cheese string recipe quickly before I'm off to London. I will be visiting the Cosmonauts exhibition at the Science Museum. I would like to post some photos here afterwards, but I'm afraid that photos aren't permitted in the exhibition, we will see. Afterwards I want to visit a food market and maybe a pub.

I have been wanting to make cheese strings for a while and found the recipe for these cheese strings on this Finnish webpage. I have translated it below for you. I would add a little bit more cheese than in the original recipe. That's why I added some more on the top. 


Ingredients

200 g butter
400 g wheat flour
100 g Emmental cheese + some extra for the top (also vegetarian pasta cheese works well here)
100 ml cold water
1 egg
Sesame seeds or poppy seeds


Method

Pinch the butter into the flour.

Add the grated cheese and then the water.

Knead into a firm dough, wrap in cling film and let rest in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Roll the dough out into about ½ cm thick rectangular shape.

Cut about 2 cm wide strings from it and turn them into spirals.

Place the strings on a baking paper and brush them with a beaten egg.

Sprinkle some extra cheese and the seeds on the top.

Bake at 200 C for about 15 minutes.



Enjoy!

Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.