19 July 2015

The VegHog's Tomato Festival


While my tomatoes are slowly growing on the balcony, the tomato season is fully underway in Britain and many other places. Great produce can be obtained at the moment, so it's the perfect time to use it. I have been planning an event or a theme week for the blog and it's time to kick it off now: The VegHog's Tomato Festival. Tomatoes are so incredibly versatile in cooking and I normally use them quite a lot.


Over the coming week I'm going to post a variety of tomato dishes here on the blog and I would also like to invite you to participate. Please share your favourite vegetarian tomato recipes in the comment box below, and if you are a blogger, link back to your blog to your nice tomato recipes. You can also participate on Twitter and on Instagram (@TheVegHog). I'm sure that we can inspire each other, the more recipes, the better.



In this first post to start the tomato week, I'm writing about a really tasty and healthy pasta dish, heirloom tomato pasta. I love making this dish often and have posted it a few times previously with slight variations. Even though it's a simple dish, it's so nice when all the ingredients are good quality. I tend to use my best olive oil and the nicest tomatoes and pasta for this. This recipe can be elevated even more by making own pasta.

Basically all you need is: Heirloom tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt, ground black pepper, basil, mozzarella and pasta in whichever shape you prefer. Also rocket can be added to this, but I didn't do so this time. Chop the tomatoes and garlic and fry them very quickly in olive oil in a hot pan. Season them with basil, salt and pepper. Cook the pasta and serve it with the tomatoes, mozzarella and an extra drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy with good white wine, and you'll have a feast.




I will be back tomorrow with another tomato recipe. Have a good week!

Your VegHog

3 comments:

  1. Love the sound of your Tomato Festival VegHog and I will def. be joining in. Our tomatoes are still very green in the greenhouse, so I am buying some colourful local ones from farmers markets. I've quite a lot of old tomato recipes on my blog, but hope to share some new ones in the next couple of months. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely, I can't wait to see your tomato recipes! :)

      Delete
  2. A little late, but here is a post linking to your Tomato Festival Week.. I have enjoyed your tomato recipes and very intrigued by the Tomato Stall ingredients http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/handful-of-green-and-red-tomato-recipes.html
    Thanks for hosting and sharing. Happy Tomato Growing and harvesting and eating - the best part!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.