14 February 2015

Gouda and freekeh salad


My freekeh love affair isn't over yet and there are many recipes coming up with this beautiful grain. Now I made again a warm and cold salad with freekeh, and I absolutely loved it. In this salad I also combined walnuts, gouda cheese and roasted tomatoes. So the freekeh and tomatoes are warm and the rest are cool and fresh ingredients. This is in my mind just the perfect lunch salad, as it's very filling.



Ingredients

½ cup smoky freekeh
1 small shallot
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp vegetable stock powder
200 g tomalini tomatoes
50 g walnut pieces
100 g gouda (I used Musta Salaneuvos Gouda that I bought in Finland)
Mixed salad leaves

Salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar and olive oil to taste

Method

Rinse the freekeh. Chop the shallot and garlic finely. Heat the olive oil in a pan and lightly cook the shallot and garlic. Add the rinsed freekeh and vegetable stock powder and cover with water. Cook until the freekeh is done.

Brush the tomatoes with olive oil and roast them in the oven until they are soft and bursting open.

Toast the walnuts on a hot dry pan or in an oven dish and cut the gouda into cubes.

Combine the ingredients and dress the salad with salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.



Enjoy and have a good weekend!

Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.