29 June 2014

Cheese and onion pie


I have already posted a previous attempt on this pie (have a look here), but as it's such a brilliant one, I've made it again. Back then I made the pastry myself, but this time I cheated with a ready made pastry in order to get a quicker pie. And quick it was indeed, amazingly so thinking of the great end result. Here you can find the original recipe by Simon Hopkinson My mother's cheese and onion pie, and below is my alteration.

Ingredients

3 large onions
25 g butter
150 g Cheddar cheese
150 g Red Leicester cheese
150 ml water
½ tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp salt
400 g shortcrust pastry sheet
2 tbsp milk

Method

Chop the onions coarsely and grate the cheese. Heat the butter in a saucepan and cook the onions for about 10 minutes at moderate heat. Add the water and cook the onions until the water has evaporated almost entirely. Then let the onions cool.

Place the thinly rolled out pastry into a baking tin (I used my Ø 20 cm cake tin) and then layer the onions and cheese into the tin, first a little onion mix, then cheese and so forth. Place a pastry lid on the pie, seal the corners with milk and press them firmly together. Brush a little milk on the top as well and make a few breathing holes on the top. You can make some whimsical decoration from leftover pastry like I made the ponies for the top with a cookie cutter.

Bake at 180C for about 40-50 minutes. Let the pie rest for 30 minutes after the baking and then enjoy the goodness!



Your VegHog

1 comment:

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.