27 June 2014

Carrot bagels

I'm back home and to my own kitchen. It's a bit easier cooking here as I know where everything is and know about the oven temperatures etc. It was very good being on a small holiday back in Finland though and I returned with a suitcase full of Finnish food and drinks, some of which you will surely see here in my blog. And people outside of Finland, remember that most of these classics can be purchased online, if something catches your eye. So, now to today's  easy breakfast recipe.

Quite often I bake carrot rolls, but this was my first time making carrot bagels. To be fair, the middle holes closed during the baking almost fully, so are these rolls after all? Anyway, it's the thought that counts, and smaller holes make the bagels easier to fill, right? If you've never tried carrot rolls or carrot bread, I would really encourage you to do so. Carrot adds a lovely little flavour and colour to baked goods.

I found this recipe on the good pages of Valio rated as easy to make and a good baking idea to make with kids (only in Finnish again). They made 20 small bagels with this recipe, but I got 14 somewhat larger ones as the end result.

Here are the ingredients and instructions.

250 ml milk
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp dry yeast
1 carrot
550 ml wheat flour
50 ml melted butter

Grate the carrot finely with a cheese grater. Warm the milk lukewarm and mix in the salt, sugar and dry yeast.

Add the grated carrot to the dough. Then also add the flour and butter. Mix into a soft dough. Let it rise for about 40 minutes.

Divide the dough into small sections and shape rolls from it. Let the round rolls rise on a baking tray under a teatowel for further 15 minutes.

Make a 3cm wide hole in the middle of the rolls by stretching the dough.

Bake at 225C for about 12 minutes and serve with butter, cheese, tomato, cucumber or whatever you may desire.

Your VegHog

3 comments:

  1. Whatwhatwhat?! The title blew me away!! This is literally two of my favorite things in one! I can already imagine that hint of delicious flavor that the carrots would bring. :9

    P.S: Welcome home!

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's good to be back! I'm planning to bake similar bagels or rolls today, but not quite sure yet what kind. Here's another recipe for carrot rolls I posted a while ago: http://the-veghog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/carrot-and-spelt-rolls.html

      I have grown tiny carrots on my balcony and hope that they are enough for one batch of rolls. :)

      Delete
  2. Best bagel I have made so far, so yummy! I made them not my girls but had to try on and they were delicious. Came out perfect to!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.