14 May 2014

Zucchini, tomato and pepper spelt risotto


When I was writing about my balcony gardening yesterday, I started thinking the lovely veg I'm trying to grow and got an instant inspiration for this recipe. I'm currently growing all the main vegetables that are in this dish (peppers, tomatoes and zucchini), and with some luck can cook this same dish from own produce later in the summer. This is again just an easy pearled spelt risotto, but the making of it is such fun – I'd really want you to try it! I love the texture of pearled spelt and the taste is great as well.

2 yellow romano peppers
100g cherry vine tomatoes
1 zucchini
1 shallot
3 garlic cloves
1tbsp olive oil
25g butter
1-1,5 cups pearled spelt
150ml white wine
1l vegetable stock
50g Sussex Charmer cheese
A few fresh basil leaves
1tsp salt
1tsp ground black pepper


Warm the vegetable stock up at moderate heat.

Chop the peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, shallot and garlic finely.

Cook the shallot and garlic in olive oil until soft and then add the peppers, and soon after the zucchini and tomatoes. Cook for a while longer so that the juices start flowing.

Add butter to the pan and stir in the pearled spelt. Let the spelt absorb the liquid for a moment and then pour in the white wine. Let the wine evaporate and add some of the warm vegetable stock to the pan and let it simmer at low heat under lid. Make sure that the pan doesn't get dry at any time, so keep stirring and adding vegetable stock.

When the spelt in cooked, add the seasoning and grated cheese. Add any seasoning or butter or white wine more, if you prefer.


Serve warm and enjoy!

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. This looks mouth-watering! And I'll read your last post right now too. I started balcony gardening about a month ago, but I'm growing some sunflowers, lavender, and others. I remember how exciting it was though when I planted tomato and green pepper seeds. They grew so nicely and I'd cook with them all the time.<3

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adi! Good luck with your plants, sunflowers and lavender are so pretty! My only non-edible plants this year are sweet peas, I like their flowers.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.